Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Impressive Dinner: Beef Bourguignon


I have Amy to thank for my recent obsession - Paul Lowe's blog Sweet Paul.

In the Fall issue of his online magazine he features amazing looking comfort foods and rich cakes. Since my in-laws visited on the weekend, I decided to try something new (which is either very brave or very stupid) and settled on SP's Beef Bourguignon (p. 65) followed with his Blueberry Streusel Cake for dessert (p. 51).

I started the Beef Bourguignon in the morning and left it simmering in my slow cooker for 4.5 hours and went out for the afternoon. By the time we got home, dinner was done. All I had to do was put together the streusel, which was easy, stick it in the oven and relax before dinner. We served the beef with some mini red potatoes and multigrain bread. (I had pictures but they were terrible due to poor lighting.)

The meal was impressive with rich flavours and the cubes of meat fell apart when pierced with a fork. We served four hungry people and still had left overs, which is always nice. The streusel didn't disappoint either (I made it with mixed berries) with it's of condensed milk topping. Everyone was licking their spoons at the end and was full and happy.

Now I just need an excuse to make SP's Salted Caramel and Chocolate Cake (p. 55). Halloween perhaps?

::: Nathalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...