Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Pan Seared Steak, Glazed Heirloom Carrots and Butter Lemon Asparagus



I've been on a mad kick of vegetarian meals and soups lately and Geoff, my meat loving husband, hasn't complained once. So today, I made a dinner just for him. I picked up fresh steaks at the local Sobeys, asparagus and heirloom carrots, which I've read are delicious, but have never actually tried, let alone cooked.

I jumped online when I got home and googled "cooking heirloom carrots" and came across Ginger Rose's blog. I didn't have the shallots and fresh thyme leaves from her recipe, so I made do with thinly sliced onions and ground thyme. Adding my own twist, I peeled my carrots and cut them on a diagonal. Otherwise, I stuck to her directions. The results where delicious and wonderfully colorful.

The steaks where cooked on a hot pan of med-high heat with a simple seasoning of sea salt and coarsly ground black pepper. The asparagus was done in my favorite way, cooked in butter with a splash of lemon juice.

When all was done, we sat down to a delicious simple meal, with Le Vieille Ferme red and served JELL-O Chocolate pudding for dessert. Geoff appreciated the gesture and both our bellies where happy.

::: Nathalie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...